Child Care Worker
Youthdale Treatment Centres is a fully accredited Children’s Mental Health organization with a mission to provide children, adolescents and their care-givers access to the best available psychiatric care and support, restoring hope, and helping individuals reach their full potential.
Youthdale is looking to fill the position of Child Care Worker to join the 592 Residential Program. Reporting to Residential Supervisor, Child Care Worker’s primary responsibility is to provide direct, quality client care and supervision to clients in residential programs. Child care worker must provide adequate coverage for the house at all times and be fully responsible for ensuring the client’s emotional and physical safety at all times and must stay on shift if the need arises.
Position Status: Full-time Permanent, 1 position available
Program: 592 Residential Program
- Provide direct client care and supervision to clients in the residential program.
- Responsible for working within the therapeutic team of the staff, supervisor, director and psychiatric consultant in making treatment plans for and with the clients and ensuring these plans are carried out on a day-to-day basis.
- Assess and understand client mental health needs through a developmental and trauma informed lens and formulate methods of intervention.
- Responsible for writing clients progress reports and ensure that clients records are maintained as per agency standards and in accordance with privacy policies and legislation.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and fully participate in life skills and recreational programming, where necessary.
- Carry out the structure and routine of the house and ensure all clients receive a high standard of care and therapeutic intervention.
- Effectively utilize communication systems to convey client and program related information.
- Responsible at shift change for communicating verbally as well as in the written log any significant and pertinent information regarding each client.
- Responsible for all shopping for food, cooking, laundry, general cleanliness, clothes shopping, and minor repairs in the house. Also responsible for daily school contact and all doctors’, dentists’ appointments, etc.
- Assist with meal preparation as required.
- Represent the Agency in a professional manner when dealing with families, external professionals, general public and community partners.
- Participate actively in team meetings, ongoing training and supervision sessions on a regular basis.
- Work safely in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Agency Health and Safety Manual.
- During school vacations, participate in the summer program and join trips with the staff and children from all other houses
- Safe preparation and administration of prescription medications.
Perform other duties as required.
- Degree or diploma in child and youth work or equivalent.
- Minimum one-year experience in a residential setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with at risk adolescents and young adults.
- Understanding of the complex issues facing our clients.
- Sensitivity to and ability to work with a diverse client and staff group.
- Ability to exercise professionalism and sound judgement in conflictual and stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to resolve issues with supervisors and co-workers in a manner that is respectful and cooperative in accordance with the agency culture and philosophy.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
- Completion of SMG training preferred.
- Valid G Licence and will be required to obtain F Class License within 6 months.
- Work Schedule – flexible hours within a rotating schedule, including days, nights, overnights and weekends.
About Youthdale Treatment Centres
Youthdale (www.youthdale.ca) provides comprehensive, integrated mental health services to children and their families, connecting them with the right programs and services, both at Youthdale and in their communities. We meet the complex needs of children and youth with a team of highly skilled and dedicated psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists and neuropsychologists, social workers, nurses, and child and youth workers.
At Youthdale, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. Youthdale is committed to providing accommodation in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please apply with your cover letter and resume by March 23, 2021.