Summerhill Market is a boutique grocery store chain in Toronto that specializes in scratch-made prepared foods and on-trend ingredients. Our stores go above and beyond a typical grocery store by offering an extensive rotating selection of ready to eat gourmet meals, freshly baked goodies, and curated hard to find groceries.
We are looking for talented individuals to join our growing team and help elevate our brand to the next level. Summerhill Market is an industry trend setter, and we are looking for individuals who are passionate about food and customer service.
Summerhill Market is looking for a Cashier to join the Customer Service team at our Annex location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Your number one priority, as a Cashier, is delivering an exceptional customer experience. You will do this by:
- Greeting customers in a positive manner when they are entering or leaving the store
- Listening to customers’ needs to ensure questions and concerns are answered
- Maintaining an awareness of all product knowledge information, product promotions, sale prices, test products and advertisements
- Helping customers find product(s) they are looking for & recommending add-ons to help complete their shopping list
- Processing sales and wrapping, bagging, or boxing merchandise for customers efficiently and offering customer carry-outs
You are also responsible for:
- Operating the cash register, computers, payment processing equipment and scanners in the store, as well as itemize and total the purchases made by customers
- Completing all sales transactions and maintaining proper cash handling at POS registers with accuracy
- Rectifying price discrepancies
- Processing exchanges, refunds, and credits
- Maintaining cleanliness of your work area
- Assisting in floor moves, product display, maintenance, and store housekeeping
- Being a team player and helping your team members as needed
- Adhering to all company policies, procedures and practices including signing, pricing, and loss prevention
- Passion for food – you are a true foodie at heart!
- Dedication to delivering an exceptional Customer experience – you love our customers as much as we do!
- Being an effective and positive communicator – having great listening skills patience and knowing how to de-escalate challenging situations
- Leading by example and being an effective team player
- Experience with handling cash, and operating a register/POS (Point of Sale System) is an asset
- Previous grocery or food industry experience along with a Food Safety Handlers Certification is an asset
- Flexible availability to work morning, evening and weekend shifts with the ability to accommodate various shift coverage on short notice
- Comfortable standing for extended durations of time
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
If this sounds like the role for you, we offer some pretty cool perks!
- Weekly pay
- Awesome employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Employer paid benefits for all full-time employees
- Dynamic workplace culture that promotes collaboration, internal training/development, diversity & inclusion and recognizing, rewards & celebrates employees
- Easily accessible locations
- Complimentary work swag (your Summerhill Market work shirts are provided)
At Summerhill Market, we are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law. Should you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate.
The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for this position and is not an exhaustive list. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business needs of each location.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Cashier/Customer Service: 1 year (preferred)
- Gorcery/Food Industry: 1 year (preferred)