Call Centre Representative II
Job Posting#: 919354
Site: Toronto General Hospital – LuCliffe
Department: Laboratory Medicine Program- Call Centre
Reports to: Call Centre Manager
Hours: 37.5 hours per week – 5 shifts per week
Pay Scale: $18.97 – $23.71 per hour including on call shifts
Status: Permanent Full Time
Posted Date: May 11, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Call Centre representatives are the first point of contact for hundreds of Laboratory Medicine Program (LMP) clients on a daily basis. This experience with the call centre establishes the client’s impression of and confidence in LMP.
- As an integral member of the LMP Call Centre team, representatives provide exemplary client support including inquiries for all LMP departments, data base searches and maintenance, report handling for the various LMP clients including: UHN home hospitals and all external clients and quality management
- Must provide fast, accurate, pleasant and professional customer service to LMP staff and clients over the telephone
- Understands and uses all aspects of the laboratory reporting system, including sending reports to remote printers, faxing and via courier
- Maintains strict confidentiality according to UHN guidelines
- Adheres to policies and procedures related to report handling and is responsible for the distribution of reports as well as the transcription of referred-out test results into the LMP LIS system
- Generate database searches for specific test results and order “add-on” tests in the LIS
- Responsible for communicating to the various laboratories when necessary and in turn telephoning critical value results within 5 minutes of availability
- Ability to search and maintain the LMP Internet Web site database menu to provide specimen requirements to clients
- Completion of Grade XII or recognized equivalent
- Two (2) years related customer service experience
- Knowledge of laboratory terminology and procedures an asset
- Training in data entry, telephone techniques preferred
- Computer/work processing, database and spreadsheet software experience
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively over the telephone; pleasant telephone manner and attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to be emphatic and tactful
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve clinic/client/customer problems in a diplomatic manner
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of applicable Hospital and departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, protocols and practices
- Ability to anticipate and tune – in to customer’s unique needs
- Ability to be consistent and display a positive/helpful attitude
- Ability to work under pressure and use good judgment
- Flexibility required to keep pace with an ever-changing environment
- Strong telephone/customer service focus
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary Office Administration certificate or customer service program, preferred.
- Microsoft Office environment preferred
- Medical subject knowledge preferred
- Experience working in a health care environment as asset
- Vaccines (covid-19 and other(s) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.