Auto Mechanic Gr. 1 (Union)
BRANCH: Facilities Maintenance (Transit & Fleet)
SALARY RANGE: Start Rate: $31.13/hr. 3 Months: $33.20/hr. 6 Months:
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1 Position
DURATION: Full time, Permanent
Looking for a career with a dynamic organization that is committed to protecting wildlife? We are interested in dedicated individuals who are positive, enthusiastic, and passionate about connecting people, animals, and conservation science to fight extinction. Your Toronto Zoo makes animal well-being a priority in all operations and shows respect for all wildlife.
Basic Function: Reporting to the Supervisor, Transit/Fleet, this position is required, under close supervision, to repair, paint and maintain motorized vehicles at the
Toronto Zoo and to provide maintenance to the Transit area. This position is also responsible for assisting and providing support in implementing the Strategic Plan.
- Performs all automotive, trucks, farm equipment and small engine repairs.
- Some weekend, holidays and shift work required.
- Assists in related maintenance duties.
- Prepares material list for jobs.
- Employee shall complete daily inspections of Toronto Zoo rides and complete minor repairs under the direction of the Ride Mechanic.
- Must be able to read, comprehend and utilize technical manuals (hardcopy and
- Must have working knowledge of MTO regulations relating to the legal requirements for fleet operations.
- Must have working knowledge of WHMIS, Ontario Occupational Safety Act, and
Toronto Zoo safety Policies.
- Other related duties as requested.
- Must possess certification as a licensed Motor Vehicle Mechanic (Class A).
- Must have a minimum of five (5) or more years proven experience.
- Require Truck and Bus license.
- Must have class “D” license valid in the Province of Ontario with “Z” endorsement for air brakes, along with a good driving record.
- Propane license an asset.
- Required to meet legislated requirements for maintenance of the Zoo’s fleet.
- Must have working knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Information Systems
(WHMIS) legislation, the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Toronto
Zoo Safety Policy.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of the job.
- Ability to work with others.
- Ability to read plans and drawings.
- Working knowledge of hydraulics and auto electronics.
- Must be willing and able to obtain a Ride Mechanic In Training (RMIT) Passport under TSSA.
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to provide a police reference check and/or driver’s abstract, at their own expense as a condition of employment. Candidates may be required to take a written and/or practical examination relevant to the position.
The Toronto Zoo values the importance of inclusive recruitment practices and strives to
create a workplace that reflects and celebrates the rich diversity of our city. Please let us
know if you require specific accommodations to be in place before you begin the interview
The Toronto Zoo respects the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion and seeks to
model these principles in all that we do. We are committed to fostering an inclusive
workforce where all employees feel respected, supported and valued. We strive to create an
environment that represents the rich diversity of our guests and our community and
encourage applications from all qualified individuals who can contribute to enhancing our
commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. Applications are especially encouraged from
racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America,
persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and women.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at your Toronto Zoo. Join our
Talent Community and stay connected……
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $31.13 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON M1B 5W8: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- automotive technician: 1 year (preferred)
- Driver’s License (preferred)
Work Location: In person