Anaergia is a global leader in the production of clean energy, fertilizer and recycled water from virtually any waste stream, offering the widest range of resource recovery solutions for the municipal, industrial, commercial and agricultural markets. Anaergia’s integrated solutions create value for its customers in the forms of renewable energy, quality fertilizers and clean water, while dramatically reducing the cost of waste management. Anaergia operates globally through established offices in North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia and its breakthrough technologies and integrated solutions are in use at over sixteen hundred resource recovery facilities worldwide, reducing greenhouse gas emissions while creating new revenue sources for its clients.
The Applications Engineer (AE) represents technical aspects of business development and project definition. AE is responsible for providing full technical support for Business Development of all Anaergia projects from the origination phase through contract negotiation and hand over to Anaergia Project Execution Team with all required specifications and budget development. The AE consistently manages assigned engineering and proposal development tasks in compliance with agreed schedule and ensuring the correctness and the completeness of the provided information.
The AE’s goals can be summarized as follow:
- Design phase: providing technical support to the Sales Team by assessing technical information and develop conceptual/preliminary design of integrated solutions for projects using both Anaergia and third party technologies.
- Proposal phase: Cost and price calculation using Anaergia tools and basing design on Anaergia Design Manual, lessons learned and best practice.
- Provide technical documentation and cost data for the Contracts, Sales, and Marketing teams and help negotiate technical issues at customer level.
- Permanent support to Sales during the proposal phase interfacing with client, client engineers, subconsultants, contractors, teaming partners and permitting agencies as required.
- Quickness and flexibility in responding to urgent questions from project managers, project engineers and Sales Team.
- Provide integrated view of the project and forge strong links between all internal and external project stakeholders to ensure a consistent and coordinated technical approach for all projects.
The AE`s tasks includes:
- Provide technical and commercial support and product advice for existing and future product portfolio within the areas of solid waste treatment, anaerobic digestion, biogas utilization, nutrient recovery and wastewater treatment.
- Develop Front End Engineering Documents (FEED) including Block Flow Diagrams (BFD), Process Flow Diagrams (PFD) and Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (PID) and general arrangement drawings during bid development and project development as necessary.
- Review and appraise customer specifications and provide summary notes including the specification’s alignment or otherwise with Anaergia’s Products and Technologies.
- Design systems, including biological processes using existing tools and process blocks in coordination with the Global Process Engineering Team.
- Process customer and Manufacturer’s Rep inquiries and orders; Analyze customer requirements and development of offers in close consultation with the Sales Team;
- Obtain, compile and process information about competitors and the market.
- Prepare proposals and price calculation according to the company guidelines and the implemented processes; Request quotations from defined and selected subcontractors and vendors, and pre-negotiate the received quotes.
- Actively participating in Offer and SOQ preparation during the proposal phase to note any deviations; Participate in finding solutions in coordination with internal product managers and the Sales Team.
- Coordinate with owners, contractors, teaming partners and engineers to establish tie points and division of responsibility during proposal development. – Compile all relevant technical documents for the proposal and / or for contracts.
- Support Sales department in contract negotiations and contract closure.
- Support Sales department in request phase for pre-qualifications.
- Record all project relevant documents and costing data within the CRM.
- Perform continuous maintenance of costing database in conjunction with the Global Applications Team.
- Support Project Manager and Project Engineer on technical, contractual and pricing questions related to bid development after project hand over.
- Improve existing tools and processes within the department.
- Support and coordinate preliminary design activities during project development of Build Own Operate projects including site/civil, electrical, mechanical, structural as well as permitting and grant application activities as necessary.
- Holds a technical diploma or graduation in: Civil Engineering / Mechanical engineering/ Chemical Engineering / Environmental Engineering / another high technical education or equivalent with a focus on municipal and environmental engineering.
- Matured experience with at least 3 – 8 years as an Engineer in solid waste, wastewater treatment or biogas industry.
- Expert understanding of all MS Office tools and ability to adapt to new digital tools
- Experienced in Design of plants and process engineering
- The AE has the following Technical skillsets:
- Deep understanding of process engineering for complex plants;
- Technical understanding of wastewater, biogas, anaerobic digestion and/or municipal solid waste.
- Knowledge about national regulations and industry practice for the design of waste and wastewater treatment, renewable energies and biogas plants;
- The AE has the following Key Personal Attributes –
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), networking and interpersonal skills
- Passionate, highly driven and hard-working, portrays an Entrepreneurial spirit, a great team player and gets things done. Has the ability to self-start tasks without dropping the ball waiting for responses from others. Inquisitive, solutions oriented. “Can do” attitude
- Always reading/learning about new technologies and waste to resource industry, with technically deep and detail oriented.
- Team player, humble. Meets promises internally and to external clients and project stakeholders and participants
- Aligned and motivated by our company Mission.
- Reporting to: Senior VP – Sales with main interfaces to other departments including Business Development, Global Process Engineering and Regional Project Engineering.
- Based in Burlington Office
- Some travel within Canada and Eastern US