JOB POSTING #873634
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Lung Transplant / Thoracic Surgery
Salary Range: $44,499 – $55,614 per annum
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Administrative Assistant II in our Lung Transplant/Thoracic Surgery Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II exercises judgment and independence in the performance of secretarial activities, the principal responsibilities include: utilizing knowledge of medical terminology and advanced functions to provide word processing/typing services to facilitate the production of moderate and/or complex documents/materials for assigned personnel; maintaining written and/or electronic calendar/schedule; ensuring efficient operation of the office, within the scope of authority; modifying and maintaining electronic and paper information filing/retrieval methods, systems and/or formats; performing clerical support functions; performing cross-functional responsibilities, as required; performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilizes knowledge of medical terminology and advanced functions to provide word processing/typing services to facilitate the production of moderate and/or complex documents/materials for assigned personnel, including: importing graphs, statistical functions, macros and other relevant tools to prepare spreadsheets, correspondence, invoices, graphics, reports, slides, table of contents, indexes and other documentation/materials, often of a confidential nature; composing and word processing/typing correspondence, research papers, manuscripts, minutes, memorandums, invoices, abstracts and other documentation materials of a confidential nature; preparing funding and grant applications for approval for various events; compiling basic statistical, financial and other data to generate and prepare spreadsheets
- Meeting, review and event management activities including: coordinates scheduling of internal and external stakeholders for Divisional meetings, reviews and events; coordinates the planning of large meetings and/or events (>35 people), including booking of venue and technical requirements (AV), development of event posters/information packages, booking accommodations and travel for guest speakers and other key arrangements; prepares and disseminates materials for meetings, reviews and events including agendas, minutes, supporting documentation, templates, etc.; prepares and organizes a number of monthly team meetings
- Program support activities including: develops, and updates call schedules for the team, balancing vacation and away times for various members of the team; actively participates in all planning and implementation meetings and completes assigned work associated with allocated projects; coordinates entry of selected residents/fellows in cooperation with Program Directors, University of Toronto Post Graduate Medical Education Office and Department of Surgery; performs cross-functional duties and other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or requested
- Completion of Grade XII or recognized equivalent
- Completion of a post- secondary office administration program at the diploma level or equivalent
- Three (3) years related administrative support experience
- Previous on-the-job computer/word-processing, database and spreadsheet software experience; experience in a Microsoft Office environment preferred
- Experience working in a health care environment a strong asset
- Very good organizational and time management skills
- Very good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Very good verbal and written communications skills
- Good knowledge of health care, organizational/office practices, procedures and standards
- Ability to produce high quality work in accordance with Hospital standards
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Knowledge of medical terminology an asset
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: March 25, 2021 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.