Position: Administrative Assistant I
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Thoracic Surgery
Reports to: Physician
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Days
Pay Scale: $20.86 to $26.08 per hour (Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy)
Status: Permanent Full-Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Administrative Assistant I in our Medicine Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Thoracic Surgery department is looking for a friendly, motivated, self-directed, detail-oriented, attentive, able to multitask, learn quickly and able to adjust to rapidly evolving work environment individual with experience in managing a medical office who would be interested in obtaining gainful employment as an administrative assistant, utilizing their administrative and clerical skills to successfully manage my office.
Job description includes:
- Preparing, managing and refiling patient files/chart for clinic days
- Registering and scheduling patients in EPIC
- Booking OR cases
- Booking diagnostic tests for clinic patients
- Booking endoscopy procedures
- Tracking and ensuring completeness and appropriate timing of patient workup
- Coordinating and communicating to patients details of their tests/appointments
- Working closely with the Lung Cancer Program navigator nurse to ensure timely assessment and specialist referral for patients managed in these programs
- Drafting appointment referral, clinic discharge and reminder letters faxing/mailing them to appropriate clinics/patients
- Managing patient files, including periodic review of inactive patient charts and managing deceased/inactive patient charts
- Managing telephone, fax and email inquiries
- Organizing and ordering new office documentation and supplies
- Maintaining physician outlook calendar
- Booking physician in person and virtual clinical, administrative and research meetings
- Booking physician work-related travels
- Preparing and submitting invoices for non-OHIP patients and non-OHIP services
- Community College Diploma in General or Medical Office or equivalent Administration
- At least one (1) to two (2) years of related experience
- Extensive on-the-job computer/word processing, database and spreadsheet software
- experience required; advanced experience in a Microsoft Office environment required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to perform multiple concurrent tasks with a high degree of attention to detail
- Previous experience in coordinating room bookings and scheduling, strong knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Be a good team player
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as per UHN and departmental policies
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high
- quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Satisfactory attendance
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posting Date: August 24, 2022 Closing Date: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.